Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

My ideas.

As of this post, I've come up with two gameplay ideas and may have more later on.

1. Remember back in KQ1, when Graham had to duck at the right time to avoid getting caught by the wicked witch? I think it might be fun for Rosella to go through a similar routine with the evil trees. Maybe they could reach for Rosella; who would dodge their branches. It might also be more interesting if one of them actually gets ahold of Rosella after she gets the ogre's ax; which she'd then use to cut herself free before scaring off the other trees with it.

(I'm actually working on a render of that scene idea and will post a link after I've uploaded it.)

2. One thing that made the game a little too easy- at least for me- was the part where Rosella gets the hen and escapes from the ogre's house. It was too easy because the ogre would only chase her out the door and away from the house, before she'd lose him. I think it'd be better if he'd chase her as far as the mountain that leads to Lolotte's castle, where she'd trip on a rock. Then as the ogre is about to catch her, he suddenly gets scared off by Lolotte's guards.

That's all I've got right now, but I will of course post again if and when I come up with anything else.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jack Stryker for this post:
  • Rosella

Hi Jack,

About (1) are you sure that Graham had to duck?
Where was it? in the witch house?

As far as I remember, Graham hid in a side room and when the witch stood near the fireplace then he came out and pushed her.

But maybe my memory is wrong, and maybe I remember the remake by AGD interactive...

Thanks for the ideas,
I am sure the rest of the team will also look into it.

Rosella.
(27-12-2012, 12:48 AM)Jack Stryker Wrote:  As of this post, I've come up with two gameplay ideas and may have more later on.

1. Remember back in KQ1, when Graham had to duck at the right time to avoid getting caught by the wicked witch? I think it might be fun for Rosella to go through a similar routine with the evil trees. Maybe they could reach for Rosella; who would dodge their branches. It might also be more interesting if one of them actually gets ahold of Rosella after she gets the ogre's ax; which she'd then use to cut herself free before scaring off the other trees with it.

(I'm actually working on a render of that scene idea and will post a link after I've uploaded it.)

2. One thing that made the game a little too easy- at least for me- was the part where Rosella gets the hen and escapes from the ogre's house. It was too easy because the ogre would only chase her out the door and away from the house, before she'd lose him. I think it'd be better if he'd chase her as far as the mountain that leads to Lolotte's castle, where she'd trip on a rock. Then as the ogre is about to catch her, he suddenly gets scared off by Lolotte's guards.

That's all I've got right now, but I will of course post again if and when I come up with anything else.

Actually, I was referring to the part where at a certain forest area, the witch comes swooping down on her broomstick to try and grab him. If you don't duck, she'll get him and carry him off to her house, where she'll drop him through the ceiling and into her cell.

Oh, and here's the newly finished render I mentioned.

http://jackstryker.deviantart.com/art/A-...-345105698

I've thought of a few other ideas, to improve on some of the flaws that gave the original game a bad name. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it overall, but these flaws gave me a headache bigger than Tamir itself. Feel free to say no to any of my ideas, by the way. But if even just one of these improvement suggestions were taken, I would greatly appreciate it.

1. In the troll's cave, his very presence was a death sentence. You could *try* running, (good luck outrunning him though) but you couldn't hide. I was only ever able to get away from him once, because of a glitch that made him freeze. Another time when I tried escaping from him, I got across the chasm and he still stayed right on me even though I took the board back. How did he get across without the board in place?

As a way to improve that flaw, could there be some kind of hiding places in the cave so that Rosella can elude the troll if he appears? Or, if the troll were just easier to outrun, that'd be good too.

2. The shark. Like the troll, his very presence was an instant death sentence. The moment you saw his dorsal fin on the screen, you were doomed to become shark chow before you could say, "Thar she blows!"

Might it be possible for the shark to appear behind her instead of in front of her, and a little slower so that Rosella can outswim him?

3. The stairs. Not only were they treacherous, but it was way too easy for Rosella to fall from them and die. And not just from stairs either. Sierra made Rosella so fragile that she would die from the kind of falls that her father and her brother would just be dazed a bit from. I don't think I need to say any more on this one.

4. Most annoying of all was a message that was constantly popping up again and again. "You're not close enough." Rosella should not have to press her face up against a door, just to be "close enough" to open it. John Westland in Codename Iceman didn't have to, after all. You could be on the other side of the room and if you typed "open door", he'd automatically walk all the way to the door and open it. So why can't Rosella do that? But worst of all, that message actually ruined my game once. I saved my game while on the island, after getting the bridle, but before giving the fish to the pelican; who flew away before I could. When I tried restoring my game and quickly typing "give fish" before he did so, guess what message appeared. And before I could get "close enough", the pelican flew away. Thanks a lot, stupid message!

So yeah, that message has got to go. It's just plain stupid and should not have been added in the game.

And that's all I have. Now please excuse me, while I go take a chill pill.

Great comments JS.

As a thumb rule in our game design we strive to eliminate dead ends - period!

About the death sentences, we already thought about these perspectives and will continue to recreate the game but we are not creating it in a pure mode for the sake of pure - whenever we can we try to make it better, so rest assured that all of your points weren't written for naught, but each and every one of them will be considered carefully.

Jack, the points you wrote will surely make the game better - thanks.

Rosella.
(28-12-2012, 02:14 PM)Jack Stryker Wrote:  I've thought of a few other ideas, to improve on some of the flaws that gave the original game a bad name. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it overall, but these flaws gave me a headache bigger than Tamir itself. Feel free to say no to any of my ideas, by the way. But if even just one of these improvement suggestions were taken, I would greatly appreciate it.

1. In the troll's cave, his very presence was a death sentence. You could *try* running, (good luck outrunning him though) but you couldn't hide. I was only ever able to get away from him once, because of a glitch that made him freeze. Another time when I tried escaping from him, I got across the chasm and he still stayed right on me even though I took the board back. How did he get across without the board in place?

As a way to improve that flaw, could there be some kind of hiding places in the cave so that Rosella can elude the troll if he appears? Or, if the troll were just easier to outrun, that'd be good too.

2. The shark. Like the troll, his very presence was an instant death sentence. The moment you saw his dorsal fin on the screen, you were doomed to become shark chow before you could say, "Thar she blows!"

Might it be possible for the shark to appear behind her instead of in front of her, and a little slower so that Rosella can outswim him?

3. The stairs. Not only were they treacherous, but it was way too easy for Rosella to fall from them and die. And not just from stairs either. Sierra made Rosella so fragile that she would die from the kind of falls that her father and her brother would just be dazed a bit from. I don't think I need to say any more on this one.

4. Most annoying of all was a message that was constantly popping up again and again. "You're not close enough." Rosella should not have to press her face up against a door, just to be "close enough" to open it. John Westland in Codename Iceman didn't have to, after all. You could be on the other side of the room and if you typed "open door", he'd automatically walk all the way to the door and open it. So why can't Rosella do that? But worst of all, that message actually ruined my game once. I saved my game while on the island, after getting the bridle, but before giving the fish to the pelican; who flew away before I could. When I tried restoring my game and quickly typing "give fish" before he did so, guess what message appeared. And before I could get "close enough", the pelican flew away. Thanks a lot, stupid message!

So yeah, that message has got to go. It's just plain stupid and should not have been added in the game.

And that's all I have. Now please excuse me, while I go take a chill pill.

I really love the render.

May I also post this the new picture in our blog (in your name of course)?

(27-12-2012, 01:14 PM)Jack Stryker Wrote:  Actually, I was referring to the part where at a certain forest area, the witch comes swooping down on her broomstick to try and grab him. If you don't duck, she'll get him and carry him off to her house, where she'll drop him through the ceiling and into her cell.

Oh, and here's the newly finished render I mentioned.

http://jackstryker.deviantart.com/art/A-...-345105698

*nods* Understood.

Thank you and yes, you may.

Hi Jack,

Great Ideas - I talked with our team about them.

Here are the notes of that virtual meeting:
"he's got great ideas!,

as for now me and A' talked about the shark, making it slower so you could outswim it,

making the stairs less treacherous, and the fatal jumps higher,

having Rosella walk up to things automatically (instead of the "you're not near enough"),

having the bird,pelican, come back if it flies away (same with dolphin),

other than that we haven't really discussed much of the points, but I will take a notice of all of them!"

Admin.

(31-12-2012, 12:48 PM)Jack Stryker Wrote:  *nods* Understood.

Thank you and yes, you may.

Smile Aw, shucks! Thank you! That's good to hear.

Me? Scared by those little flying things? Are you serious? Certainly not! What a joke! I could crush them all simultaneously without effort. The only problem is I can't fly. They're just quicker than me to grab Rosella, that's it. I knew I should have brought a sling!

[quote='2. One thing that made the game a little too easy- at least for me- was the part where Rosella gets the hen and escapes from the ogre's house. It was too easy because the ogre would only chase her out the door and away from the house, before she'd lose him. I think it'd be better if he'd chase her as far as the mountain that leads to Lolotte's castle, where she'd trip on a rock. Then as the ogre is about to catch her, he suddenly gets scared off by Lolotte's guards.." [/quote]

(29-01-2013, 09:49 AM)The Ogre Wrote:  

Me? Scared by those little flying things? Are you serious? Certainly not! What a joke! I could crush them all simultaneously without effort. The only problem is I can't fly. They're just quicker than me to grab Rosella, that's it. I knew I should have brought a sling!

Well, sure, you could try to crush them.  But I'm pretty sure Lolotte- being a powerful sorceress and all- would sense what was going on and then show up herself to fry you; which she could do just by pointing at you.