Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tribute to Karen...

I hope this does not come across as a distasteful proposition, but, if you bear with me, for a couple of lines, I will try to express my thoughts.

I only learned of Karen's passing today, when the news were announced in the AGS forum. To say that I was shocked, would be an immense understatement, and I think it will take me some time to come to terms with the fact, that Karen is gone.

I first came in contact with her, during the early stages of Magic Mirror Games' remake of KQ4. She showed every sign of being a brilliant artist, even then, and, when we discovered that we both lived in Norway, we did a fair bit of corresponding on the side, apart from speaking in the forums.

I never met her in person, but we had some loose talk about meeting, next summer, and, as I got to know her quite well, I am very sad indeed, to think that this will now never happen.

This may sound silly, but I remember a small discussion in the AGS forums, about whose picture is over the mantlepiece in the haunted mansion. I put forward the idea that it may have been Roberta Williams, herself, and made a remark about maybe the picture should have been substituted by a picture of her, Karen, that is, instead. Or words to that effect, anyway.

And here is my little idea: Would it be possible to let the picture be a portrait of Karen, in your remake? It could, perhaps symbolise her creative spirit, which, of course is everywhere in the game, anyhow, but it may serve as a nice tribute. If the player clicked the portrait, Rosella could make a suitable honourary comment.

I hope I have not offended anyone in proposing this, and I am sure the team has allready considered many options in how to pay tribute to Karen, but as I read the sad news in the AGS forums today, this thought sprang, imidiately to mind, and I felt I had to share it...

Hmm... well, my idea was for there to be a dedication to her in the opening or right before the end credits, saying something like this:

"For Karen: the artist- and good friend of ours- who inspired this project and put her heart and soul into it.

Rest in Peace"

Your idea sounds pretty good too, but... I don't know.  What do you guys think?

(Sorry to hear that you never got your chance to meet her too. I would've liked to as well.)

Of course we should put a nice dedication in the opening and closing game credits.

About the portrait, well, there is that AGI hack in the game (near the end) where one could look at the wall and he will beam his self to a special place where he could see all team members (beam me...), here is the youtube showing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nglnqpoanp4

We could do something there

(08-12-2013, 06:11 PM)Jack Stryker Wrote:  

Hmm... well, my idea was for there to be a dedication to her in the opening or right before the end credits, saying something like this:

"For Karen: the artist- and good friend of ours- who inspired this project and put her heart and soul into it.

Rest in Peace"

Your idea sounds pretty good too, but... I don't know.  What do you guys think?

(Sorry to hear that you never got your chance to meet her too. I would've liked to as well.)

If we do our own version of the secret room, I was thinking we could do something similar to what was done at a convention panel for the movie The Crow.  Where an empty seat was left for Brandon Lee; who was accidentally killed during the filming.

Maybe we could be seated at a table, having lunch or something, and leave an empty seat for her.  Perhaps with her portrait propped up on the chair, if possible.

I have an idea.It combines all three poster together.I think you SHOULD make the portrait in the haunted house of Karen.Here is the other idea.You could let Rosella do 'Beam Me',then when she enters the room,they could all be sitting at the table,and ask something like 'would you like to join us for dinner,Rosella?'of course Rosella would say yes.Then the whole team can introduce themselves.Then Rosella can see the empty chair,and ask about Karen.At the end,she can say something like 'It was nice to meet the team of this great game,but I need to get back to saving Genesta and my Father!'This is my idea.What do you guys think?

Or maybe Karen could talk to Rosella at the table too.Therefore, Rosella could meet the ENTIRE team.What do you guys think?

We've actually been talking about the secret room idea and eventually decided that it wouldn't be appropriate.  So we'll probably just go with the haunted house portrait idea.  We're also thinking it'd be better to use the minstrel version, rather than her actual self.